Wednesday, 30 August 2017

My Father's Cardigan...



This is all I have of him

The sum total of a life

I never shared with him.

Wearing this

He never held me in his arms

He never reached out to me

He never waved me a cheery

Hello

Nor a weary

Goodbye.

We were distanced

Through the cold circumstance

Of divorce

And through silly situations

Spawned from mutual stubbornness

Unspoken conversations

And the nonsense of pride

Many, many lonely moons ago

But my heart never abandoned him

My thoughts kept him close

If only in my head

And my regret is

That I never told him this

That I never placed my arm

Around his shoulder

In his final cardigan wearing days

And said to him the words

That had orbited my heart

All of my life

"I love you, dad"



© Copyright Lynn Gerrard

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful piece. Love and pain and jagged-edged honesty all in a beautiful tangle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So moving, Lynn. Wonderfully captured emotion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy....every word was from the heart x

      Delete