Sunday, 14 August 2016

Our Song...


(I wrote this piece as a song but my art lies in writing words not music so, until such time as I come across a someone who can write the music to accompany this...I shall at least share the lyrics with you)


OUR SONG


I held his hand 

As to me he sang

A song for my ears alone

Such tragedy

In the melody

As to make my spirit mourn

For all the things

That could have been

But will never now come to pass

For tomorrow he visits the gallows


And his song will be our last




He held me near

And wiped my tears

As I looked in his eyes

The sadness there

Was hard to bear

And a hurt burned deep inside

A longing for

What was before

Tyburn's rope hung fast

For tomorrow he visits the gallows

And his song will be our last




He'd killed a man

Who'd done me harm

So I would no more dread

The violent swish

Of a madman's fist

Nor his angry, drunken tread

To save me from

A terrible fate

My true loves life would pass

For tomorrow he visits the gallows

And his song will be our last




As moonlight rests

Its silver threads

Upon his raven-black hair

I take his hand

And place it

On my belly

Wherein there stirs

The child blessed by our union

But cursed by his poor father's past

For tomorrow he visits the gallows

And his song will be our last




The jailer stands

With keys in hand

Now my love

And I must part

A candle flickers restlessly

As does my fretful heart

Through Newgates walls

My cries now fall

To meet others in their dirge

For loved ones soon lost to the gallows

And whose song will no more be heard.




Poem only ©  Copyright Lynn Gerrard

2 comments:

  1. Great poetic expression a little dark however I love the way you play on words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks! Yes...I do tend to lean heavily on the darkside...(not in a Stars Wars kinda way ) haha!

      Delete